Works on the construction site of the DK 81/86
The consortium, whose leader is NDI based in Sopot, is working on the extension of one of the most important communication routes in Silesia, i.e. National Road No. 81 (DK 81) from the interchange of the A4 Motorway with the DK 86 to the constructed interchange with Armii Krajowej Street. The project provides for new grade-separated interchanges thanks to which traffic will flow more smoothly and safety will increase.
At the construction site, works are underway in virtually every sector. The first stage of reconstruction of the gs315 medium pressure gas pipeline and the gw350 increased medium pressure gas pipeline has been completed as well as reconstruction of the heating network 2×400/560 together with dismantling of the old overhead network and reconstruction of high voltage 110kV lines.
The first section of the cover tunnel of the water main with a considerable section of 1800 mm, which is carried out using the micro-tunnelling method, is ready. Drilling is underway for the subsequent water supply and rainwater drainage system networks under the national road. Work is also underway on catchments D1 and D6 of the rainwater drainage system, and a retention and filtration tank are under construction.
The MV and LV teletechnical and power networks, which are the property of Tauron and KWK Murcki-Staszic, are being rebuilt. Work is underway on seven flyovers and under the retaining walls. The W-6 flyover abutments as well as the W-7 flyover abutments and intermediate supports are ready. Deep ground reinforcement under the foundations of the W-2, W-3, W-4, W-6, W-7 facilities and under the M1 and M2 retaining walls is completed.
The reinforcement method is an innovation on the Polish market – says NDI Project Director Adam Owsiany. It involves deep reinforcement of the substrate by making panels of soil-cement mix, using the deep soil mixing method. A device called trencher is used for making reinforcements. It allows for the preparation of up to 19-metre-deep panels. In Katowice, we strengthen the subsoil to a depth of 9 metres. The device is built of a crawler carrier with an attached working blade along with a closed loop chain, with cutting and mixing teeth placed on it. After plunging the agitator into the soil, its structure is broken and the binder is simultaneously fed. When the binder mixes with the subsoil, they form a homogeneous soil-cement structure, i.e. a panel with dimensions in accordance with the dimensions designed in the project documentation. The resulting panels are characterised by much better strength parameters and lower compressibility than the surrounding soil.
On the remaining flyovers, i.e. W-2, W-3 and W-4, reinforced concrete works on the foundations and supports of the facilities are continued. In the near future, the general contractor, NDI, plans to start mounting bearings on the W6 and W7 facilities, assembly of T-type prefabricated beams on the support structure of the W-7 flyover, construction of the foundations of the W-1 facility, as well as reconstruction of the DN1200mm main water supply network from the W1 interchange to the W2 interchange.
‘We are aware that, with such a large scope of work, it is necessary to introduce temporary changes that cause inconvenience. However, it is necessary in order to ultimately gain a significant improvement in the situation. Thanks to the separation of transit and urban traffic, driving will be smoother and there will be fewer jams. That is why we are asking residents of Katowice and the metropolis for their understanding and patience in this matter,’ says Marcin Krupa, Mayor of Katowice, and reminds that this is the largest road investment in Katowice since the construction of the tunnel under the Katowice roundabout, which significantly increased the comfort of traveling through the downtown of Katowice. The scope of work on the project “Extension of National Road 81 from the A4 Motorway interchange with the DK 86 to the constructed interchange with Armii Krajowej St. – stage I” includes, among other things:
– extension and reconstruction of a section of Pszczyńska St. (DK 86),
– extension of a section of 73 Pułku Piechoty St. (DK 81),
– extension of the old route of 73 Pułku Piechoty St.,
– construction of an interchange at the intersection of DK 86 (Pszczyńska St.) with the DK 81 (73 Pułku Piechoty St.),
– extension of the Kolista interchange,
– reconstruction of sections of Kolista St. and Karolinki St. within the implemented intersections,
– construction of slip roads:
a) (on the Siewierz to Skoczów route),
b) (on the Skoczów to Siewierz route),
c) (on the Tychy to Skoczów route),
d) (on the Skoczów to Tychy route),
e) (on the Skoczów to Mysłowice route, exit from National Road No. 81 to 73 Pułku Piechoty St.),
f) (on the Mysłowice to Siewierz/Skoczów route),
g) (on the Tychy to Mysłowice route),
h) (on the Siewierz to Mysłowice route),
i) (on the Mysłowice to Tychy route),
– expansion of traffic lights at the Karolinka – Kolista junction,
– construction of road culverts,
– construction of exits,
– construction of engineering structures (flyovers) W-1, W-2, W-3, W-4, W-6, W-7,
– reconstruction of underground pedestrian crossings (T-5a and T-5b),
– reconstruction of a railway crossing with infrastructure,
– reconstruction of the culvert on the Bolina Stream,
– construction of fences,
– reconstruction of noise barriers,
– construction of a service duct with video monitoring,
– construction of a rainwater sewage system together with a pumping station,
– reconstruction of the utilities conflicting with the extension of the road:
– installation of traffic safety devices and fences,
– development of road greenery,